Monday, August 16, 2010

Christianity is a Crutch

My Belief

I recently went to a church in Time Square, NY. The guest speaker told a great story of an encounter he had with a non believing individual. The person approached this guest speaker and explained that he thought all of this “Bible” stuff is a fraud and Christianity itself is a “Crutch” for weak people. The speaker responded to this individual by squaring up and looking the person directly in the eye. He then exclaimed, “Jesus absolutely is a crutch and I am a weak broken person that needs that crutch”.

 crutches

This is a perfect description of what Jesus is for us. The problem is that we have no idea what Jesus is offering us until we realize that we are completely broken people. Once we realize that we have a need that this world can not fix, then we can understand that Jesus is offering us the help that allows us to stand in front of a Holy God. We have evil as part of our very nature. We are born in a state of need just like a person born without the ability to walk. Someone without the ability to physically walk would be ecstatic to have the use of a crutch or a wheelchair in order to become mobile. In the same way if we can stop being concerned with our own self interest for a minute, then we can realize that we are paralyzed by our own nature. Our relationships fail, our thoughts wonder to evil, and our societies crumble due to our own corruption. This has happened all throughout history because people always have been broken and in need of help. Jesus is that help, Jesus fills that need, and Jesus is the crutch for us to lean on in our brokenness.

Scripture

Matthew 11:28-30 Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

Application for life

In this life we never stop being broken. We must recognize that we are always sinners. God’s judgment will only pass over us if we are covered with the blood of Jesus Christ. This is the ONLY hope that we have in life. I reflect upon this everyday. I see myself sin EVERYDAY. I say things, I do things, and I think things that separate me from God. My only hope and my only strength is when I realize that Jesus is the “Crutch” that catches me every time I fall. Joy in the cross

No comments:

Post a Comment