Saturday, May 8, 2010

When Robbers Break In…

My Belief

I was casually talking to a friend on the phone as I entered my house. I had just arrived home from a multi day trip, and I was anxious to trade my pilot uniform for some comfy loose fitting clothes. As I rolled my luggage through the house and into my office, I noticed things seemed to be out of place. My safe was open and so was my window. Someone had broken into my house and stolen a significant amount of money and things from our home, while both my wife and I were away. Most of us would have feelings of anger, fear, anxiety and violation.

This however is not what the Bible asks us to do, and not what my wife and I will allow in our home. We are choosing to refuse to feel sorry for ourselves- God gives and God takes away. He has provided for us and we have been blessed with much. Instead, we are choosing to forgive the thief. NOT because we are such good Christians, but because God has forgiven us much. We are commanded to have mercy to our fellow sinners. One sin is no worse than another in God’s eyes. Jesus says that even non- Christians love their friends, but we are to love our friends and our enemy's. I pray that these criminals will find salvation in Jesus before their time runs out. I pray that they will see the error in their ways and repent of their sins to our Holy God. But if they do not, it is not our place to judge- that is God’s right alone.

Scripture

Matt 6:20 - But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal.

Matt 5:43-48 - 43"You have heard that it was said, 'Love your neighbor[a] and hate your enemy.' 44But I tell you: Love your enemies[b] and pray for those who persecute you, 45that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? 47And if you greet only your brothers, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? 48Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

Application

As Christians we are told to strive to be like Jesus. Jesus love everyone. He loves both the righteous and the evil. Who do you love? Do you love only those who love you? When someone hurts you or steals from you, will you be able to forgive and pray for that person?

1 comment:

  1. Being the person on the other end of the phone with you when this happened was hard for me when this occurred. However, given what is happening with the invasion of my marriage by another man, I have been able to forgive and pray for both he and my wife. I ask that God have mercy on their souls, and the power for them to see right from wrong, and to find it in their hearts to repent for their sins.

    ReplyDelete