Monday, January 9, 2012

A Call for Advice

My Belief

phone

A good buddy of mine who also works for the airline recently called me for advice. He is a good "country" guy who is a conservative politically and a Christian in terms of his faith. The crew that he was working with was pretty much the extreme polar opposite of my friend. One in particular was an angry black man who was an atheist and a flaming homosexual. To say the combination between my friend and him were as oil and water would be a drastic understatement. This angry man learned along the course of the trip the beliefs of my friend and was inclined to let him "have it". He would say things like Christianity is the reason for slavery throughout history  and president Obama is the only "savior" the world really has. Needless to say this was killing my friend. He called me up and said, "what should I do with this guy?". He had tried debating with him a bit only to have the guy become more entrenched in his position.

My advice to my friend was to just be as friendly as possible to the guy. My friend did not like that answer very much. He said he called me for a real solution and that is all I have for him. The reason is this. Jesus did not call us debate and vigorously prove Him to everyone. He told us to LOVE and serve everyone. My friend had already shared his position of faith and the guy was not interested. So what else is there for him to do other than to be kind to the unkind and loving to the un-loveable. This was Jesus greatest command. To love the Lord your God with all of our heart and soul and mind and to love your neighbor as yourself. When one analyzes what Jesus was saying by the term "neighbor", he was talking about everyone on the planet .             ahmadinejadEnemiesHitlerHe also said a soft answer turns away wrath, and to turn the other cheek. Peter said to be prepared to give an account of the hope that you have with gentleness and respect. All of this points to one thing. We are love and be love in a world that does not want love. This is why Jesus said that God is love and love has come into the world.

Scripture

Matthew 5:43-48
43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor[a] and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46 If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? 47 And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? 48 Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.
Matthew 22:36-40

36 “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”

37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’[a] 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’[b] 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”


Application

I made it my new years resolution to stop talking trash about people. I like to say things like the Cowboys suck, or a particular airline is horrible or the work groups in certain cities are awful etc... While most of this is just in jest it does not show love. It tears down and does not build up. I am praying and trying to change this in myself to conform to the will of Christ. I am going to try to even be kind to people who don't like me or people I have not liked in the past. I am going to try and be love to in everything just like Jesus is love to me. Even when I am just joking around.

Love Jesus

1 comment: