Monday, June 14, 2010

Captain Tail Number

My Belief

I used to “think” I was a pretty good pilot. There was definitely a streak of arrogant pride running right through me. Many situations presented themselves on the flight deck when I was still a new Captain. In the first year and a half of being a Captain I was successful in handling problems such as a pressurization failure at high altitude, total loss of my de-icing capability while flying through a blizzard, and several diversions for extremely severe weather. I had so many difficult situations happen while flying I use to joke with my wife that anything short of the wings coming off, I would bring the aircraft safely back to earth. I had two hands firmly on the “Steering Wheel” of my life and I was trusting my own ability instead of the Lord God who gives everything.



God will not share His Glory with another and he quickly humbled me and taught me one of the biggest lessons I have had to this point in life. I was riding high and felt bullet proof to just about anything as I began a great trip a few years ago. The trip was worth a lot of money, had good overnights, and had a great start and finish time. Everything was perfect about this trip except the last day. The last day had an early start, a lot of work, and a very short overnight the night before. We were onboard the airplane that morning before 4:00AM. Myself and my crew were all sleepy and none of us realized that the agents at the airport had gotten the wrong airplane ready for us to fly out that morning. We took the wrong airplane flying that morning and it was my fault. The tail number was only one digit different between that airplane and the one we were suppose to have. I had a lot of explaining to do to my company, chief pilots, and peers. It was a simple mistake, but potentially a huge one. I could not believe that I had been so careless. God did not need to flex his muscles to bring me to my knees, He used the simplest thing possible. Thankfully God protected me, but he sent me a real warning. He told me that he is God alone and I am a man. I have no right to boast in anything but Him. He gave all to me and He can take everything away from me. Either way I will praise the Lord.

Scripture

Isaiah 42:8 I am Jehovah, that is My name; And My glory I will not give to another, Nor My praise to carved images.

Proverbs 16:18 Pride goes before destruction,
a haughty spirit before a fall.

1 Corinthians 4:7 For who makes you different from anyone else? What do you have that you did not receive? And if you did receive it, why do you boast as though you did not?

Application for Life

What do you do that your AWESOME at? What is your strength. It does not matter what your gift is because all gifts are from God. We are to use all of them to promote God’s Glory not our own. In life or death, in victor or defeat, in success or failure give thanks to the Lord always.

No comments:

Post a Comment