Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Hate to RUN!

My Belief

Tired Runner

I really hate to run for exercise. It is so boring! There is nothing to hit or throw. There is no goal to score in or defender to get past. It is really just not my sport. It is just a repetitious monotonous chug along sort of thing where the world passes you by. Even though I hate to run for exercise, I do it anyway. I think it is good to help me build endurance for when I do get to play those other sports that are much more engaging to me. I have only started to run again for about the last six months. I put my headphones on and take my dogs plodding around the neighborhood or I hit the hotel gyms on my overnights, like I did today. I realized something while I was running today. I hate to run, but I love it when I do it. It is always a drag to start off on the cold sidewalk or treadmill, but when I put on my favorite praise and worship music from my iPod things start to change. My body starts to warm up and the music starts to take over my mind. I begin running faster and faster and at times break out into a full on sprint. The songs penetrate my heart and turn my thoughts toward Jesus and his sacrifice for me. The more I like the song the harder and faster I run. Before I know it I have run a few miles and for a decent amount of time. I arrive back at my house or step off the treadmill feeling refreshed like my entire body has just been in praise and worship to the Lord Jesus. I don’t end feeling tired, but alive. My heart is pounding and my thoughts are driven toward God.

I started thinking this dilemma I have with running is very similar to the dilemma I have with God’s word. I start out feeling like I have chores to do and I don’t have time to sit down with that “old book”. There are bills to pay and I don’t have the energy to listen to that “preacher” again. It is always the same old repetitious monotonous stuff. Even though at times it seems like it will be boring and take up my time, I do it anyway. I open the Bible or push play on that sermon and before I know it I feel like my entire perspective on my life has changed. I feel like all those silly chores and bills just melt away and I am left with a renewed energy. I am left with a humbled spirit because of what Jesus has done for me and a great hope fills my heart because of His soon return. I don’t end the sermon or close my Bible thinking I have wasted time, but that rather I know how to make the most of my time. Afterward I can focus and put life into the proper context of what is really important. My stress fades and my worries subside. I know that all these chores and bills are temporary and very soon I will see my savior face to face. Champion Runner

Scripture

Matthew 4:4 4 Jesus answered, “It is written: ‘Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.’[a]

2 Timothy 3:16 16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,

Application for Life

It is so important to take care of our mind, body and spirit. Exercise helps us keep our body in shape and God’s word helps us tune our minds to the world around us. By carefully studying the Bible we can know everything that we need to know. We get the answers to where our world has been and where it is going. We can then focus our lives on the things in this life that really matter. Our perspective becomes sharp and we know that we are only passing through. Spend time meditating on God’s word and letting Him speak to you through it. It will allow all your cares to fade and give you a bigger picture of what life is really all about.

                Cross Finish line

No comments:

Post a Comment