Thursday, November 4, 2010

Falling away

My Belief

                            Falling off

I feel especially sad for the guy I flew with this week. I was up to my usual. I was dangling “spiritual bait” out there trying to get him into a conversation that I could turn into a chance to share Jesus. We flirted with politics a little. He was all about energy reform and green technology. He towed the California liberal line pretty hard, but would not let me turn the conversation into anything more than surface level stuff. We ran out of things to say faster than usual and I did not know how I was going to gain enough credibility or find an opening to share Jesus with this guy. I prayed about it. I said, “Lord, if there is an opportunity here, please show it to me.” That evening we were on a long flight together and we began chatting about politics again. One of the very first thing out of his mouth FLOORED ME! He said, “The problem with this country is all of these dang retards that call themselves Christian.” He also said, “I use to be part of the “God Squad”, but not anymore.” Well, talk about an opening. God dang near blew the door right off the hinges. I simply raised my hand to this guy and said, “I am one of those retards.”

This guy knew the Bible and the arguments for creation inside and out. I had nothing to give him. He knew it all and said that he use to believe it whole heartedly. He said that now after his research he believes God is an Alien and evolution is the mechanism of life. He had no evidence at all to support these claims. He simply told me that after having researched it heavily, this was his new conclusion. I didn’t know what to say. How could someone with so much knowledge of the Bible and someone who claimed to be a Believer most of their life now be in this position. He also told me, “well if all the Jesus stuff is true, then I am fine because I use to be saved and once saved always saved.” I said yes I agree with you that “genuine” salvation is permanent, but what about the encounter Jesus had with the fig tree? This guy had all sorts of leaves (Biblical knowledge), but he had absolutely no Fruit! He had no joy in his life. He complained about everything. For example: he didn’t like his job, he didn’t like his girlfriends, he hated that he only had an apartment, etc, etc…

I told him that I did not know how he had gotten so far off track, but that I would pray for him. I would pray the God would use the Holy Spirit to convict him and draw him back. That God would show him his original thoughts where not misguided and not to let Satan keep hold of him. I told him that there are traps everywhere and to do some real searching. Question everything and see where the evidence really lies.

Scripture

Matt 21:18-1918 Early in the morning, as Jesus was on his way back to the city, he was hungry. 19 Seeing a fig tree by the road, he went up to it but found nothing on it except leaves. Then he said to it, “May you never bear fruit again!” Immediately the tree withered.

Application for Life

Even though this is my first time meeting someone who now repudiates his faith, it is not my pastors first time. I have heard him preach about “Leafy” people and “Fruity” people numerous times. Jesus even said that all “good soil” produces fruit. Some 10 fold, some 100 fold, but all produce fruit. We would be wise to test ourselves as to whether or not we truly believe who Jesus is and what Jesus did for us. Do you really believe there is hope after death? Do you have a passion to share Jesus with lost souls? Are you truly a fruity Christian or just a leafy religious person going through the motions? Will you fall away when your faith is rigorously tested?     

 Fruit Tree

1 comment:

  1. Man! That's a stark contrast to our trip. What a challenge but God put you there to shine light into that darkness. Now the Spirit can go to work!

    ReplyDelete