Tuesday, September 28, 2010

What a “Cowinkydink”

My Belief

                            clunker

In addition to being an airline pilot I also own a crashpad in the New York area. A crashpad is simply a place where airline people crash. Pilots and Flight Attendants often live in a totally different part of the world then where they are based.  Our crashpad just consists of a house and a car that we can all use when we are in our base. It is sort of like a “home away from home”. As a crashpad owner I have gotten pretty good at dealing with all sorts of little maintenance issues. I have a whole list of service people and technicians on speed dial that take care of the house and car.  Well, not to long ago I was on a long overnight outside of the country. I was in Canada and I got a call on my cell phone about a problem some of they guys where having with the car. They called me and told me that the car would not start and it was located in a secure employee parking lot. This was a big problem for me. Not only was I in Canada where my phone costs a lot of money for international calling rates, but it would be a major headache to try to tow a car out of a secure parking lot. I was stuck! Usually, I can handle this sort of thing easily, but this was the perfect storm. I could not really use my phone to make arrangements, our car was stuck where it could not be accessed, and my fellow crashpad buddies were stuck late at night. The only thing I could do was pray. I bowed my head and told God. I’m stuck. I don’t know how to solve this problem. I need help in dealing with this because I don’t know what to do. No sooner had I finished praying when I heard my phone ringing again. I picked it up and one of the guys who was stuck said, “your never going to believe this”! I was nearly frantic to know what had happened. He told me that one of the guys had been removing his luggage from the trunk when he noticed a loose wire. He started playing with the loose wire while the other guy was trying to start the car. Immediately the car sprang to life and they were able to leave the parking lot and go back to the crashpad.

You explain it anyway that you want to, but I am 100% sure that God helped me that night. The odds of these guys stumbling on the problem and being able to easily correct it when I was without a solution had to be ridiculously small. It may seem like a coincidence, but that may be exactly how God prefers to operate. I heard a preacher say in a sermon once that coincidence is God’s way of staying anonymous. He also said, “isn't it funny that when we pray, coincidence happens, and when we don’t pray it doesn't happen.

Scripture

John 14:14 You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it.

Matt 7:7 "Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.

Application for life

God answers prayer! We have the awesome ability to pray to God all the time about everything. I do think that there are times though when God takes special attention in answering our prayers. Those times when it feels like we have no answers, and we don’t know what to do. In those times if we turn to God, then He steps up, taps us on the shoulder and reminds us He has been here all along.

mechanic

No comments:

Post a Comment